Thursday, January 20, 2011

Funny comments from the gallery

Most of the time I post pictures, but I needed to write down a few "funnies" said by my children and thought "what better place than where all my friends can enjoy them too".

K dropped a toy on his toe (a heavy item) and began crying. Upon my inquiry as to the location of his injury (I was in a different room at the time), he informed us that "his big thumb toe" was the hurt one.

While driving along in our van one sunny afternoon, J began pretending that the daddy and I needed to meet one another and date (as if we hadn't met before). I started asking questions about his family and his job, etc. as any girl interested in pursuing a relationship would do. The daddy started asking if I looked good, what kind of car I drove, etc. (you know, important things to the male species). He finally said, "does she have a nice, a nice, a nice (really long pause)?" J finally gives up on him completing his thoughts and interjects, "Convertible?" To which the dad responds, "yes dear, a convertible, that is what I was wondering about!!!" Of course, I just about lost it which made her think she was all the more funny. We laughed about that for some time.

We watch very few TV shows, but find the falls and bangs, bumps and bruises on America's Funniest Home Videos rather amusing. Upon watching this show one evening, a clip of a wedding was being shown where a camera is going around capturing the well wishes of all the attendees. After a couple normal, "we wish you the best", etc. a 10ish year old boy was shown saying, "I hope you have lots of sex". The tubaman and I looked at each other anticipating the questions following that. I was thinking about what my answer would be, how little I needed to share, what would answer her questions and leave this topic behind. In that 15 seconds of sheer panic, J pipes up with "WHAT IS SO FUNNY ABOUT HIM SAYING 'I HOPE YOU TURN SIX'"?
Whew! Tragedy averted. Glad I waited that one out. *sigh*

Just a few days ago some friends were visiting. While the kids were in the bedroom playing, K had fallen on one of his toys and hurt his head. He comes crying out of his room seeking some mama love. As I am kissing and comforting him (he is generally pretty tough and if he is crying, it usually means he is really hurt), he took a big sniff and said, "what are you eating?" Crying ceased, comforting was done, and he was seriously interested in the smell coming from the mama. (I had just eaten a mint cookie). I was so glad some others were around to experience this moment with me. I suppose that is the distraction technique at its finest.

Baby J awoke the other morning about 2 hours earlier than her normal routine. As I had gone to bed only 5 hours prior and am in the last weeks of this pregnancy, I don't do so well with only 5 hours of sleep. Needless to say, I was praying that she would lie in bed with me and fall back to sleep. (The daddy had gone to volunteer at our local produce place, so he was unavailable to help me by offering some extra rest for this big ol' pregnant lady). While attempting to get the baby back to sleep by patting her, loving her, snuggling her, leaving her alone, it became apparent that she would not be sleeping any more that morning. After laying for a few minutes, she would sit up and kiss my nose, lay back down, raise up, touch my cheek, lay down, raise up and want to hug me. I finally said, "why are you not going back to sleep?" She in very baby talk, but as clear as a 20 month old can say, replied, "I no know!" complete with hands up in the air and much gesturing. Needless to say, we got up and started our day. *grin*

Other funny things that are happening at the funny farm include the fact that Baby J wants her big brother to sit in HER lap. She gestures to him, points to her lap, and gets a bit miffed if he doesn't comply right away. He is usually kind enough to sit with her for a least a few minutes. (Good big brother).

Baby J also wants to have shoes on ALL the time. She wakes up in the morn, points to her pajama covered toes, and says "shoes". The kids all got new boots for Christmas, so Baby J took it upon herself on several occasions to make certain that her feet were not the only ones stylin'! She would point to her boots, say "boots", and be content only after the p.j.s were removed and the boots were on her feet. Then she would go to the hallway, retrieve the others' boots, and deliver them to the appropriate sibling so they, too, could share in her joy. This went of for several mornings (until the boots were worn to horse lessons at which time they were no longer allowed in the house).