Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ramblings of a Fool

Okay, so I realize that I usually just post pictures up here, but I just had to share a story I heard recently.

I heard a man proclaim his undying love to a woman in front of hundreds of people this past week. He told her how wonderful she was. He said in front of all these people how committed he was to her and how amazing she was. He again told her (over and over) how much he loved her. (He wanted to make certain she and we understood that he loves her.) I was amazed. Until....he told her he only wanted to see her on Christmas and Easter. (Of course at this point I figured the analogy out). Back when I worked at churches we often commented on the "C's" and "E's" as we called them. (You know the people who only go to church on Christmas and Easter). However, I had never heard it put so clearly as our pastor did this past week in church.

When the story is told in relation to a "real" person, it is obvious how silly it is to profess our undying love to someone and then let them know that we will only spend time with that person two times per year. How much less silly is it with the God of the universe? Of course, one would have to believe that this God to which I refer is actually the God of the universe, but that is indeed what I believe. I just can't figure out how people can decide that Jesus was a "really good man". I mean, the guy said he was God and indeed God's son. I can only reach one conclusion. Jesus is either a liar, a lunatic, or Lord. I have accepted him as Lord of my life which leads me to writing this little note.

Over the past couple of years, I have become increasing aware of how I have to MAKE time to spend with my husband. It would be silly for me to think that we will be able to maintain a relationship if we never talked. With three kids, his extremely busy schedule, and life in general, we really do have to make an effort to spend time together. I have become even more aware of how I also have to make time for my LORD. With so many things available which go against God's word, I find that if I don't REALLY spend time in the word, I can become convinced that things of the world are not TOO bad. Well, guess what? Those things that the Bible say are bad...they really are. Don't believe me? Turn on the news. People will do bad things unless they are taught otherwise. And sometimes, more often than not, we still struggle with right or wrong even if we ARE taught otherwise. My point is that it is impossible to say that we love a person (including one we can't see) unless we spend time with that person. And do you know what? The more time I spend with my Lord, the more I WANT to spend with Him, and the less I want to spend with what the world says is acceptable. Think we can just be good people and accept what the world is saying is okay? Try this. Turn off mainstream media for a few days. Read what God says is acceptable and holy and just. Turn the TV back on. You will most likely turn it off again. (If you've been accepting the lies the world has to offer, it might take a month of doing this before you realize how the negative media impacts what you think). I have to say that I have my children to thank for this wonderful revelation. When we started evaluating what is was we wanted them to be exposed to, it became difficult to even see commercials sometimes. Think I am overboard? Think about some of the commercials from a 6 year old's point of view. Guns hurting people, scary looking people chasing others in the dark, women saying ultimate unkind things to other women...the list could go on forever. And why would I want that in MY brain never mind my babies?

My wonderful husband started an evening time of devotions for our family a few months ago. What a special time (and how amazing how much the little ones remember). If you need a starting place, here are a couple of suggestions. The One Year Devotions for Preschoolers and Ruth Graham's Step into the Bible, 100 Bible Stories for Family Devotions. We read one from each book. The kids really look forward to these. We have had a few late nights when we tried to get out of doing only one, but NO WAY! the kids informed us. They love their studies.

Okay, I will stop rambling for now. Just really thought the analogy of ultimate love for someone with time spent only twice a year really made a point. There IS absolute truth in this world. There IS a God of the universe. And as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Jesus said in John 15:14, "you are my friends IF you do what I command." I guess I am not a really bright person, but I don't remember all that He commands unless I read it over and over and over again. (sort of like the Israelites. One would think they would have learned their lesson after God destroyed them numerous times, but just like me, I have to read it over and over in order to remember it. I don't always measure up, but I want more than anything for myself and my children to receive His blessings and be considered His friends. Thank God for the gift of grace when we do fail.

Now, for those who braved the ramblings, there is a pay-off. Number one...pictures of the most adorable babes (and their dad) in the world. Number two...next time you see lots of text, you will know to skip it if you didn't like the above. *grin* hehehehehehe

The kids spent the morning helping dad in the garage. J was filling the tires with air.
K was replacing the caps on the tire gauge.
And they of course, really helped dad out when he was under the car.

J had been beggin' me to put some make-up on her, so we finally did. Can I just say this child will be locked up from about 13 until she is all wrinkly and stuff (whick I now know is around 34 *grin*)

Baby J was loving the swing. Fall is finally here. We can be outside and not melt.

K loves this cutsie face.
See?Think homeschooling is easy? We require even the cat to do his study time. Here he is about to tire out. Literature is a doosey. Or is that a dozer? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You must have the most well educated cat on the block!!! Loved your "ramblings."
All the best - Shelly

Joshua1:9 said...

Preach it, Sister!

Ronda