Saturday, March 14, 2009

When the Daddy is away...the children will play!

We had some great fun this week even though the dad deserted us. *grin* Here is what HE thinks is fun! Keep in mind he is SUPPOSED to be working. hehehe Looks like he is hard at work, don't you think?

Here is what WE think is fun! Okay, so we like the other too, but WE didn't get to go hang out with the band this time.
A presentation was given to our homeschooling group by a local falconer. We were able to learn about falcons (a Harris Hawk in particular), see a Harris Hawk up close, and even pet the beautiful creature. The kids enjoyed it very much...the mama learned LOTS as I knew NOTHING about what falconers do. The kids even got to play a bit before and after (the presentation was given at one of our friends homes).

For those of you who were as limited in your knowledge about falconry as was I, I am including the Wikipedia excerpt about what it actually is.

Falconry or hawking is an art or sport which involves the use of trained raptors (birds of prey) to hunt or pursue game for humans. There are two traditional terms used to describe a person involved in falconry: a falconer flies a falcon; an austringer flies a hawk (accipiter). In modern falconry the Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) and the Harris hawk are often used. The words "hawking" and "hawker" have become used so much to mean petty traveling traders, that the terms "falconer" and "falconry" now apply to all use of trained birds of prey to catch game. If you are truly interested in learning more, check out the full Wikipedia article.

This is Fiona, a beautiful Harris Hawk.

J petting Fiona. K pet her as well, but I was holding his hand so I could not get the picture. She was a GOOD bird!

J listening intently. She always amazes me at the things she learns/is able to comprehend. She knew LOTS about falconry when I was asking her questions after the presentation. K had to go potty three different times so I had to rely on her for most of my information.


And now, play time!!!!

No comments: